Thursday, February 11, 2010

Landon’s Lip Reading Abilities

Over the past few weeks I have noticed that Landon has become really good a reading lips. The other night while I was watching the Saints NFC Championship game, he came to hand me he ears; which he readily pulls off when he gets tired at night. After he place the devices in my hand, I instinctively asked him if he was ready to go to sleep to which he answered, “Yep, night, night.”

In that instant it made me pause, and I thought to myself “Did he hear that?” Of course, within one second of that thought the reality came back to my mind. It was interesting to me to see how far I could take it and he was able to answer readily to the few question I asked him about getting his night-cap; chocolate milk. I have begun to force myself to speak to him verbally even when I know his “ears” are not being used to help develop his lip reading. He certainly is one smart little dude…

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is very smart and a sweetheart. Love Ya! MaMa

Anonymous said...

yes, he is smart, but it does make you wonder if he is depending more on lipreading than his hearing.

Landon's Mom said...

He's definitely not depending on lipreading over hearing. There are too many times throughout the day when I'm talking to him and he's in another room, sitting in the back seat of the van while I'm driving, or playing with his toys and I know he is not lipreading at those times and he responds/answers appropriately. His ears go on as soon as he gets dressed and don't come off until he gets into bed at night-and some nights he asks to keep them on until he falls asleep.

Eric Seneca said...

No, my post was not to indicate that lipreading is his primary means of communication. Far from it, he can hold an entire conversation with someone while in another room or during play when he is not paying attention to the other person's face. He is doing great with his implants and developing coping mechanism when they are off during the night.

Eric Seneca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
monica said...

oh, i love that! thanks for sharing. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Unknown said...

He uses his hearing aides for sure. I called to him one day when he was going to the far corner of Tammy's yard. His back was to me and he just kept walking. I assumed he was not hearing me clearly. When he reached the corner of the fence he turned around looked at me and yelled as loud as he could "What!". That was a little boy being a little boy.